Breathe Your Way to Better Skin
Just breathe – a saying we often hear, but do we really think about the actual action? Breath is the most effective tool for changing your physical, emotional, and mental state. When we pay attention to our breath, we are producing an act of self-inquiry where you can invite yourself directly into your body.
How can you breathe to create better skin and skin stamina?
- Start When You Wake UP
- Sit up in a comfortable position and inhale through the nose deeply.
- Exhale through the mouth quickly and repeat five times.
- The act of breathing will signal to the brain that your body needs to activate, and your heart rate will increase.
- Deep Breathing
Used as a way to boost energy, deep breathing is first and foremost a way to eliminate excess carbon dioxide from the body, provide a rich supply of oxygen to the blood, and invigorate cells and tissues. This practice also improves circulation which reduces the effects of stress on the skin and cortisol-induced breakouts. You can practice deep breathing anywhere such as outside your office in between meetings, or more commonly known to be used during yoga.
- End Your Day with Breathwork
In the evenings you should aim to soothe your nervous system and prepare the body for restorative sleep to avoid dull skin, puffy eyes, and dark circles. Follow this easy routine to let your brain know that things are more calm and peaceful than just a few minutes prior.
- Lie down and inhale and exhale through the nose only, as nasal breathing gives lungs more time to extract a greater amount of oxygen.
- Make the exhale two counts longer than the inhale and repeat 5 to 10 minutes, or until you feel relaxed.
- Breathe During What is Joyful for YOU!
Sometimes breathwork is as simple as being done during an activity that brings you joy. Think about your daily activities, is it possible to fit breathwork into some of those every-day habits?
- Sipping your morning coffee
- Walking your dog
- Yoga class @spokenwordyoga
- Touching your breathing bracelet to feel centered @1.breathatatime
- Watering or gardening plants
- Mindfully sharing grace with family over dinner
- Applying daily mindful skin care, Stamina Synergy with our adaptogenic Stamina Complex Cosmetics
- Meeting with your supportive tribe and community @integrativedermatologysymposium
- Guided meditation in the car to reduce traffic frustration
- Taking a pause when things feel like they are spinning out of control with overwhelm & stress, especially at work
- When you need to face a fearful and/or hard situation and need a dose of stamina
- Taking a quick pause to reflect before you react with loved ones
- Parenting wisdom to calm a child
- Relaxing, self-care bubble bath after a long day
- And so many more moments of stillness for overall wellness, just let your imagination and BREATHE guide you!
- Reduces stress and stressed skin.
- Helps you work through physical pain.
- Glow-boosting benefits
- Dose of Stamina for skin wellness
We encourage you to try these breathing habits and work your way towards a healthier skin journey. Prolonged stress, especially the kind rooted in our psyche, is the most damaging to our skin which can make our skin vulnerable, irritated, with breakouts and blemishes. If healthy and youthful complexion is what you seek, a BREATH may be your gateway to clear skin.
Here are few more resources on the health benefits of breathwork https://www.healthline.com/health/breathing-exercise and https://youtu.be/SclZwqr5xpE
Follow Stamina @staminacosmetics for more tips and advice on a journey to healthy, restorative skin.
Founder of Stamina® Cosmetics